Canyon Leader Course (ACE-L3) MOAB
Improve your skills and expand your ‘toolbox’!
Uber Adventures’ Canyon Leader Course (ACE-L3) is designed to prepare some for Leading Canyons, and others for an improved toolbox of skills; specifically providing the next level of skills training through technical instruction and experiential practice. While these tools are a vital component for any active canyoneer, they are imperative for anyone leading rookies, kids, family or friends into a canyon. This course provides strategic training for unexpected technical and group management challenges … when things don’t go quite as planned!
While this course is designed primarily to meet the needs of recreational canyoneers, it also serves as a bridge between the Advanced Canyoneering Course (ACE-L2) and the Canyon Rescue Course (ACE-L4), and forms the training foundation for those planning to seek certification as a Professional Canyon Guide (ACE-L5)!
Skills covered include:
- Alternate Guided Rappel Options to keep people dry
- Group Gear Choices & Distribution, Pack Management
- Strand Isolation and Leapfrogging for speeding things up
- Static Courtesy Rappels to make hard-starts easier
- Dynamic Courtesy Rappels to make super-hard-starts safer and easier
- Lowering Systems for emergencies and speed
- Pre-Rigged Rappels and Rigging Kids for Rappel
- Static & Dynamic Edge Protection to increase rope life
- Direct Top Belays, Handlines and Sequencing
- Passing Knots on Ascend and Rappel
- Converting Static Block to Lowering System for assist or rescue
- Isolating In-Field Rope Damage (Core Shot)
- Constructing a Swiss Seat or Swami for rescue or gear failure
- Rappelling on a Munter for emergencies
- Advanced Friction Options
Prerequisites: Since this course builds upon the skills and techniques presented in our Technical Canyoneering Course (ACE-L1) AND our Advanced Canyoneering Course (ACE-L2), we recommend that you’ve either taken both courses or have significant relevant personal experience before taking this class (please inquire if you’re unsure if this is the correct course for your current skill set).
Required Gear: Harness, Helmet, Rappel Device, Figure 8 for Rigging, Gloves, 5-6 HMS Screwgate Carabiners, 48″ Sling or Foot Loop, Personal Safety Tether/Lanyard, Prusik Loop, Ascender(s), 20′ Cordelette or Canyon Cordelette (and appropriate shoes and pack).
Logistics: This class will begin at our campsite each morning (Saturday-Sunday) at 7:00am and will finish around 5:00pm each afternoon, allowing for some hikes and sight-seeing in the area. Feel free to camp with us, to get your own camping, or to stay at a motel … your choice. (Uber Adventures provides no camping gear.)
Tuition: This Canyon Leader Course (ACE-L3) is $395 per individual … and includes camping! Tuition is non-refundable and non-transferrable but may be put toward a future course in the same calendar year if 30 days notice are given cancelling your participation in this course. Feel free to post any questions on this event or send me a greeting/e-mail through meetup. Included with tuition is: use of all group canyoneering gear, camping, and A CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION!!
Instructor: Klaus Gerhart
Please read the course policies here: Policies