Canyoneering Guide & Rescue Course (L3-L4 Combo)
This combo course is not only a great time to up your recreational canyoneering skills to an admirable level, but it’s a great prep course for Certification as a Professional Canyon Guide with ACE (Association for Canyoneering Education)! This 4-day intensive course covers all the material in the Canyon Leader (L3) and Canyon Rescue (L4) Course. Check out the benefits of ACE certification .. they’re pretty dang awesome).
Canyon Leader Course (L3)
Improve your skills and expand your canyoneering toolbox!
Uber Adventures’ Canyon Leader Course (L3) is designed to prepare some for leading canyons and others to increase the number of tools in their toolbox; specifically providing the next level of skills training through technical instruction and experiential practice. While these tools are a vital component for any active canyoneer, they are imperative for anyone leading rookies, kids, family or friends into a canyon. This course provides strategic training for unexpected technical and group management challenges … when things don’t go quite as planned!
Canyon Rescue Course (L4)
Train Hard, Plan Well, Be Safe … but accident’s still happen.
This Canyon Rescue Course (L4) by Uber Adventures teaches the skills necessary to perform immediate, in-canyon self-rescues, partner rescues, and how to assist with group emergencies … all with your groups’ normal rack-and-pack (the minimal gear you should carry on your harnesses and in your packs.)
Boost your confidence and fill your mental toolbox with skills to handle technical emergencies.
This course not only teaches you the skills and methods necessary to execute a variety of rescue procedures, but it provides the impetus for critical thinking through an emergency.
How would you help a canyoneer stuck on a rope? How would you help an unconscious canyoneer stuck on a rope? How quickly could you figure out how to convert a static block to a lowering system? Could you haul a rappeller back to the top of a drop by yourself? Have you ever been in a canyon, assessing a fictional problem and felt helpless? Are your responsibilities in a canyoneering event greater because you’re the leader/organizer? Would you like to be a more valuable team member? This course is vital for not only canyoneering leaders, but also for conscientious recreational canyoneers who value their own safety and the safety of their party.
With the technical skills presented in this course, you could prevent the need for calling in an expensive Search And Rescue team, avoid putting rescuers at risk, avoid spending the night in a canyon, and continue a canyon descent with a non-critically injured teammate.
Skills covered include:
- Alternate Guided Rappel Options to keep people dry
- Group Gear Choices & Distribution, Pack Management
- Strand Isolation and Leapfrogging for speeding things up
- Static Courtesy Rappels to make hard-starts easier
- Dynamic Courtesy Rappels to make super-hard-starts safer and easier
- Lowering Systems for emergencies and speed
- Pre-Rigged Rappels and Rigging Kids for Rappel
- Static & Dynamic Edge Protection to increase rope life
- Direct Top Belays, Handlines and Sequencing
- Advanced Belay Techniques & Rappel Friction for Long Rappels
- Passing Knots on Ascend and Rappel
- Advanced Lock-Off Methods
- Converting Static Block to Lowering System for assist or rescue
- Isolating In-Field Rope Damage (Core Shot)
- Constructing a Swiss Seat or Swami for rescue or gear failure
- Rappelling on a Munter for emergencies
- Advanced Friction Options
- Knots, Rope Grabs & Progress Capture Methods
- Anchors, Rigging & Friction Dynamics for Rescue
- Mechanical Advantage and Haul Systems
- Converting Static Rigging to Haul or Lower
- Assisted Rappel & Tandem Rappel Techniques
- Hero Rescue, Balancier Lift
- Rappelling on a Tensioned Rope
- Guide Ropes, Tag Lines, Belays
- Cut-and-Lower Procedures
- Special Ascending Techniques for Rescue
- Pick-Off Procedures Scenario
- Considerations for musculoskeletal injuries
PREREQUISITES: Since this course builds upon the skills and techniques presented in our Technical Canyoneering Course (L1) AND our Advanced Canyoneering Course (L2), we recommend that you’ve either taken both courses or have significant relevant personal experience before taking this class (please inquire if you’re unsure if this is the correct course for your current skill set).
INSTRUCTION: UBER Adventures is America’s premier Canyoneering Instruction, Events and Community! We offer a variety of Canyoneering Courses to get the beginner/intermediate Canyoneer up-to-speed in his/her Canyoneering-specific skills; to provide intermediate Canyoneers with the skill set to tackle Advanced canyons; to train Leaders/Organizers the techniques and strategies for technical and group-management challenges; to teach individuals and groups the skills necessary to perform immediate in-canyon self-rescues, partner rescues and to assist with group emergencies; and ultimately to provide the comprehensive training for anyone interested in seeking certification as a Professional Canyon Guide.
Instructor: Klaus Gerhart
Please read the course policies here: Policies